Monday, December 14, 2015

Quote for Day: Judith Light, "It Was the LGBTQ Community That Inspired Me to Be the Kind of Person I Wanted to Be"



Actress Judith Light in an interview with Chris Azzopardi on the light she has found, as a straight advocate, in the LGBTQ community:


It was the LGBTQ community that inspired me to be the kind of person I wanted to be. I wanted to be authentic and courageous, and for so long I wasn't. When I began doing a lot of advocacy work in the early '80s for HIV and AIDS, I saw the community and the way the community was operating against all odds, against a world and a culture and country that gave them nothing and denigrated them. It was unconstitutional behavior toward the community, and this community just rose up and said, "We will create places to take our friends who are sick, we will do their funerals, we will take them to the hospital, we will change their IVs and their bedpans, and we will learn." And the lesbians came in and said, "Gay men, you are our brothers and we will take care of you," and the drag queens and the bisexual community and the transgender community - everybody pulled together. I looked at this community and said, "This is breathtaking. This is the kind of world and people I want to be around. These are the kind of people I want to be working with."

No comments: