Saturday, January 10, 2015

In the News: Guns. More Guns.



On one morning, on one single day as I read the news online, I see that Talking Points Memo carries the following headlines on its main page: 


1. George Zimmerman Arrested For Aggravated Assault 
2. Woman Mistakenly Shoots Husband Who Surprised Her With Breakfast 
3. Four People Shot At Kansas City Gun Store Catering To Female Gun Owners 
4. Off-Duty Cop Accidentally Shoots Roommate In Head While Showing Off New Gun

And I ask myself what this congeries of headlines says about the country, the society, in which I live. 

The photo is an AP photo by Nick Ut showing a pile of guns displayed at a Gun Buyback Program at the Los Angeles police department; the photo has appeared at various blog sites and in various news articles, including this January 2013 article by Charles Kenny in BusinessWeek.

No comments: