Thursday, March 1, 2012

"Let Your Life Be a Friction to Stop the Machine": Educational Resource on American History




I haven't yet had a chance to watch the BBC series on Catholicism in England that I recommended on the strength of a valued reader's suggestion a few days ago.  I do plan to watch it soon and will let readers know what I think about the series.

Meanwhile, Steve and I did watch the recent "American Experience" program on the Amish at PBS and found it well-worth watching--well-produced and often visually stunning, and fairly insightful for a mainstream media treatment of religious themes.  If at times excessively hagiographic (and we wonder about the predictable tendency of mainstream media outlets to rediscover religion and how very good it always is for all of us right before a major election . . . .).  I may have more to say about this program down the road.

For now, though, I don't want to fail to recommend the valuable educational resource I've embedded at the top of this posting: a recently released video from Class War Films that, as some reviewers are noting, tells us important things we Americans need to know about our history, but which most of us didn't learn in the classroom when we took American history courses in grade school and high school.

I find this video very well-done.  And thought-provoking.  And more than a little painful to watch.

What do you think?

No comments: