Sunday, June 26, 2011

What Will Catholics Celebrate This Sunday?

 
I like Tim's point very much today, at his Following the Voice Within blog: as he notes, in some Christian liturgical traditions, yesterday was the feast of the Body and Blood of Christ.  As Tim describes it (extremely well), here's the point of that liturgical remembrance: 


Today is also the feast of the Body and Blood of Christ, a celebration of the Eucharist which are physical and real icons (as well as potent reminders) that Christ, our Lord and Saviour, willingly gave up his life so that ALL who believe would be saved.  His message was of unity, not division...of forgiveness, not retribution...of inclusion, not exclusion.  To partake in the Eucharist is to celebrate that sacrifice, to enjoy communion with all those, past and present,who have believed and to recognize that, through Him, ALL are welcome in the Kingdom of Heaven. 

This ties in to a question I've been asking myself in my own head all morning: What are my fellow Catholics celebrating in their liturgies today?  Following the actions in New York on Friday?

I'd surely be curious to know.  

The graphic depicts the eucharistic consecration, at which point in the Roman rite Mass the liturgical celebrant says, "Take this, all of you, and eat it: this is my body which will be given up for you."

No comments: