Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow Creeps: Contemporary American Political Discourse and Luminaries of Prose


Why I bother grasping for strawy words to express my mundane ideas when there are political leaders vying for the chief executive office in our land with pithy, suggestive prose that can take such flight as the following, I have no clue:


I studied journalism, my college degree there in communications. And now I am back there wanting to build some trust back in our media. I think the mainstream media is quite broken and I think there needs to be the fairness, the balance in there — that’s why I joined Fox. Fair and balanced, yes. You know because, Jay, those years a go that I studied journalism it was all about the who, what, when, where, and why, it was not so much the opinion interjected in hard news stories (h/t to Chris Bodenner at the Daily Dish blog). 

The clever use of repetition, so that ideas circle back on ideas (and back again, and there again) to embed ideas there in the wrinkles of the brain . . . . 

The elegant spareness of it all, the omitted verbs in phrases like "my college degree there in communications," to suggest rather than beat ideas to death.

The sonority of it.

And the evident good sense there.  And there and back again there.

And the admirable mind that can craft such elegant prose.  Not to mention the admirable minds of the large number of citizens who recognize the sonority and the good sense of the prose back up there where it is printed back there.